Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Coral Springs & Boca Raton Family Lawyer

Contact Our Trusted Team

Boca Raton Parental Relocation Lawyer

Skilled Florida Parental Relocation Lawyers Representing Clients in Palm Beach County and Broward County

If your ex is planning on moving with your child, or you are considering a relocation, it’s important to speak with a knowledgeable family law attorney. When you retain a Boca Raton parental relocation lawyer, you have an objective party who will protect your rights and help you fight for what is best for your child. At Williams & Varsegi, LLC, our legal team is committed to providing the best representation possible for all of your family law needs, including relocation.

Florida Law and Parental Relocation

Under Florida law, parents are restricted in how far away they can move with their children if they share custody or there is a time-sharing agreement in place. If this situation applies to you, then the law states that you can only relocate with court approval or mutual consent. It’s important to understand that moving to a new residence is not the same as relocation unless it involves a significant jump in zip code. Florida law defines a move as relocation if these two conditions apply:

  • The move is going to be a minimum of 50 miles from where you currently live; and
  • The move will last for 60 or more days.

If you are moving 48 miles from where you currently live, it does not require court approval. If you are moving 75 miles away for only 30 days, then it does not fall under Florida law as a relocation either. A temporary move for vacation, medical purposes, or even educational purposes will not be considered a relocation unless your child is away for more than 60 days.

Child Relocation Requirements

If you are seeking to relocate with your child, there are two options that can make it happen. These are:

  • Consent Agreement — This is when both parents consent to the relocation. It will likely be declared a lawful relocation, provided certain requirements are met. You must notify the other parent in advance, the time-sharing schedule should be revised, and there needs to be a workable plan for transportation.
  • Court Petition — If the non-relocating parent objects, you may need to file a court petition. If there is a dispute, the court will need to give approval before you will be allowed to go. Remember, the court will look at what’s best for the child, not what you or your ex wants.

Reasons to Hire a Boca Raton Parental Relocation Lawyer

Child relocation matters are complex. You want to work with an attorney who has extensive experience handling these types of family law cases. Don’t attempt to handle a court petition on your own. If you don’t work with an experienced attorney, it could result in your petition being denied. If your ex has an attorney to challenge the petition, we are able to negotiate directly with them, so you don’t have to deal with an overly emotional confrontation.

If you or a loved one is planning on relocating with their child, we are here to assist. Contact Williams & Varsegi, LLC, today to set up a free initial consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2022 - 2024 Williams & Varsegi. All rights reserved. This law firm website
and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.